I need a more updated and detailed post on my plan for van life, so here you go.
Phase 1: Back to School
Once I’ve got my driver’s license, I’m going to start taking classes at the Austin Community College.
The First Semester
I will start with just two classes in the first semester.
- Photography: I want to be a pro photographer just like my dad.
- Videography: I also want to be able to get amazing footage, both with a drone and without.
The Second Semester
I will add a third class.
- Carpentry: This will give me the skills to fabricate the interior of the van (will get to that later). I will also be able to use these skills as a way to make extra money on the road.
The Third Semester
I will add three more classes.
- Welding: Another skill that will grow useful in van life.
- Studio Art: I’m not confident I’ll be any good at this, but I want to try. Besides, I could make extra money online if I succeed.
- Guitar: I’ve always wanted to learn.
The Fourth Semester
I will add one final class.
- Automotive: I will need these skills for van life.
Phase 2: A Better Job
I will get a better part-time job somewhere making at least $15/hour. I will put serious money into savings towards a van. I’m expecting to work and go to school for three to five years.
Phase 3: Van Life
Part 1: Finding a Van
Once I’ve saved between $30,000 to $50,000 USD I will begin the search for the right van. Read my post about which van I will purchase to know more.
Part 2: Renovation
Once I’ve acquired a Volkswagen Vanagon Westfalia, I will begin the process of renovating it. I will redo the fuel lines, as Vanagons tend to go up in flames if you ignore that. I will also get one of those fancy extinguisher tubes for good measure.
If it still has the stock engine, I will swap in a Subaru engine. Unlikely I’ll need to do that, as at the price point I’m looking at, most already have a Subaru engine.
I will make sure to clean the interior and exterior really nicely. I will likely get it painted, and get a new roof put on. I’m thinking about getting an Adventure Wagon roof. I like the aerodynamic look.
I will add a bunch of items to the inside and outside of the van. I will get a CB radio.
Part 3: Moving in Part-Time.
I’m hoping to have the van ready before I’ve finished my classes at ACC. If so, I will move into the van part-time. I will travel some during the summer.
Part 4: Full-Time
Once I’ve completed my classes at ACC and started to make a solid income online, I will start living in the van full-time. I will likely also travel most of the year.